There is currently no vaccine to prevent COVID-19. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Stay home as much as possible, especially when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
Additionally, UW–Madison is strongly advising against all non-essential travel. Dane County is experiencing community spread of COVID-19, which means there is no known source of the disease, such as recent contact with an infected person or travel from an area with a high number of cases.See all FAQs